The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"We got a report of some liver use..."

Here's the story:

Absurd story from Chicago

To make a short story even shorter, Chicago has banned foie gras (??). Some guy eating in a restaurant sees that they are serving foie gras, and calls the police. They come and tell him to stop. He doesn't deny it; just trying to get rid of this ridiculously expensive stuff. (Next time they'll fine him $250.)

Ok. What's the point in banning foie gras? I'm sure they have some reason that at least sounds rational, right? Oh, it's not humane to treat ducks and geese that way. That's certainly a reason to busy up a legislature enacting a law against food. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the humane treatment of animals, but isn't that like saying "we don't like the way you catch squid" and banning calamari instead of regulating fishing?

Crazy point number two: who's got so little life as to call the police (on a special non-emergency line: 311) because some restaurant is serving foie gras. I mean, this isn't even someone smoking near me and polluting my air; not someone driving fast in a school zone; not even someone crossing against the light. Serving a food (that they already had on hand) to someone else. That's whole new levels of intrusive.

--Beav

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM, Blogger Bk30 said…

    OMG! now we let them tell us what foods we can and can't serve? what is this crap..land of the free my ass! I mean if we are gonna ban foods I have some I hate and some that just sound gross. Denver Oysters, raw oysters, escargo', the list is endless...
    They are gonna kill the duck anyway, cause people like duck, why are we wasting any of it? If we are going to kill the animal for food should we not use every bit we can? Geez..I need coffee!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    I gather that the objection is not that they kill the fowl, but that they force-feed it to swell up the liver. And that's apparently inhumane. (I can't say; I've never force fed a fowl.)

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Blogger Bk30 said…

    I want a time machine!

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I say we start a jihad against all the poultry growers that...no wait...lets start a democracy movement against...no wait, let's call the whole thing off.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Okay so Foie gras is duck liver? Wait... over stuffed duck liver? Look i just don't understand yer jive lingo, man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home