The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Thoughts

Earlier this week, I saw this posted:

"1. what other people think of me is none of my business 2. worry is misplaced imagination and 3. if you don't want to be happy, you'll find reasons not and the other way around."

I thought that they were all such perfect sentiments, I had to spread them around a bit. Number one is counterintuitive. "Of course it's my business," you think. "They're thinking about me." But really, it's not. You are who you are. People's thoughts about you will always be colored by their own experiences, biases, and beliefs. But what it really comes down to is be you. Do what you feel is right, not what you think will make others think well of you.

Number two is just remarkably phrased. One of those sentences I wish I could etch on my wife's brain.

Number three is a truism and a more general statement of the golden rule of military assignments: "Every assignment is what you make it." Everyone who's ever been in the military has heard this. Almost everyone in the military has said it. The general is something I grabbed and ran with when I found out that my follow-on for Korea was not Denver, but right back here at Langley. I decided it was either be miserable for a year, or be happy - assignment be damned. So, I was (and am) the guy who always has a smile on his lips; who answers the casual "how's it goin'?" with "it's a great day!" And it has made all the difference.

This week, I'm thankful for the food that keeps my family nourished. I am all too aware that there are lots of people all around the world who don't get enough to eat. I am grateful that when I'm forced to throw away some food that one of my sons has dropped on the floor or some such, that it's an annoyance, rather than a tragedy.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 12:04 PM, Anonymous MOM said…

    There are some people who are not happy unless they upset about something. A simple " Hi, How ya doin" will elicit a angry " What do you mean by that ? " They don't like anybody. They have a negative view of the world. They assume that everyone is out to cheat them or have a ulterior motive for everything.

    Then there are people who have a positive view of the world. They like just about everyone, has a lot of friends and are very happy.

    If you know yourself to be a generally nice person then you have no worries. You can't be liked by 100% of the people, if someone dislikes you and you have not done anything to them ...ITS THEIR PROBLEM !!!

    So keep on smiling and enjoy your life and sit back and laugh at the silly things of the world.

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pls visit my blog
    www.palpiteiragol.blogspot.com

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Frank Chambers said…

    I appreciated the sentiments. I particularly like the idea of worry as misplaced imagination. I know my own imagination runs a much sometimes despite my best efforts.

    Frank Chambers

    frankchambers.com

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    I really enjoyed reading your post. I believe everyone needs work on all 3 of those. # 3 especially would make a whole lot of people feel more fulfilled in their daily lives. Choosing to be happy in the now is so much more fulfilling than trying to jump to the next event.

    Janelle

    http://chimercial.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 11:59 PM, Blogger Kenyetta Lethridge said…

    "What other people think of me is none of my business." Yes! I heard the same thing this week. So glad that someone else was listening too.

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Anonymous venta casas said…

Post a Comment

<< Home