The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Friday, March 11, 2011

I Have the Conn

I know and have known many people who's philosophy on life centers around "giving control up to God." Though I don't begrudge them this philosophy, it has always bothered me somewhere in the back of my mind. I could never figure out why, exactly, until today.

I was driving down the road today, and saw a bumper sticker. It read: "If God is your co-pilot, switch seats!" That sort of solidified for me what had been nagging at the rear of my brain. I was always taught (and have seen for myself, as it were) that "God helps those who help themselves." You work hard; you persevere; you attain that which you strive for. The idea of just saying, "Ok, God. You do it." just baffles and annoys me. To quote the punchline from one of my favorite jokes, "I sent you 3 boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

Granted, for many people, that saying means something less than that. Letting God choose the direction, more than letting him do all the work. This still bothers me. But more because the idea (I thought) of being given free will was to see what you do with it. Your life is your own - to make your own choices. If you don't make your own decisions, you've missed the point entirely. You've also missed out on life. Life is the decisions you make. If you do not make any, have you lived? If all you did was follow the decisions made by someone else - even God - you've just given them another life.

That may be acceptable (or even desirable) to some, but I couldn't live with it. For other people, I'm not sure that I can even respect it, but I do accept it.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 8:12 PM, Blogger Gina Rathbun said…

    There is a lot of truth to your point about the expectation of letting God"take over." But there is the quiet confidence and trust that comes from that authentic place inside where when we "Let Go and Let God," He will continue to guide our decisions. If we do our part (our free will to do the necessary to get to that next place sort of thing), I know He will do His. Gina
    www.narrative-healing.con

     
  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Brother Odd said…

    I have to agree with your post. The only place we disagree is the concept of "free will". I belive that God is either NOT omnipotent or we have no free will. If God knows everything about everything (this means the future the past...the currant time on Jupiter EVERYTHING!!) then he built you to fulfill apurpose and its according to his design. Your just playing the role he made for you. Doesnt sound very "free" to me. but far be it from me to bash the big guy upstairs this is just the kind of thought that drives me crazy. At any rate like your blog. you should post more.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Hepzibah The Watchman said…

    I enjoyed your post about giving it all to God. I struggle with this philosophy too - although during the rough times - I am more than happy to give it all to God. I can't give you an answer - giving it all to him, or making my own decisions, but I think God is like any mother watching her toddler trying to tie his own shoes. He only helps when we ask - or when we are over our heads in a mess.

    I would like to say to Brother Odd - God is omnipotent (all powerful) but chooses to allow our free will. He is also omniscient - so he knows what we will choose. Big difference.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    http://familyindirenedofassistance.blogspot.com/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home