The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

How to see Seoul on 50K Won a day.

Sunday, there was a picture-style scavenger hunt in Seoul. It was a fantastically fun time. The rules of the game said each team of five had to have 4 teammates in each picture and we were restricted to public transportation. Needless to say, I have some cool pics from all around Seoul.
Here we are at the temple near the Coex Mall. I'm pointing at the Buddha statue that we were looking for.











We walked quite a bit, though not always in such a silly manner.


We walked over to Olympic Stadium from that temple.


Then we caught a cab ride (yes 5 of us in a cab...a little less than comfortable) to the National Palace, where we helped guard.


Next, it was a trip to Seoul Tower. That was one of the cooler parts of the trip. First, the fences covered with locks (our objective), and the view was spectacular. I really dug the wiry flying man and the "layers" display (my pic doesn't do it justice).



Lastly, we went to the Fish Market. As you can see from "Row 1," it was huge! There were many things to be had, but I took pictures only of the live squid and live shark. (Yum!)



Finally, we headed to the Hard Rock in Itaewon to meet up with the other teams. On points, we lost. (Apparently one team just handed a cabbie 100K Won and said take us to these spots.) However, I feel that we won on experience. If we have another like this, I'll throw it on purpose. No other team has a shot like this, though it was just across the river from the Olympic Stadium.


After that day, I have many places on my list to visit with time to kill. Wow. I love being in a foreign country.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 4:16 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    Most excellent adventure! (I deplore cheaters, and in my opinion, the winning team cheated.)

    Gives me an idea of an adventure for around here, although pickings are a trifle slim here in charming Augusta, Georgia. Well, there is the Haunted House (it's official!). And a couple of celebrity-themed sites. I'll have to flex my google muscle on this one.

     
  • At 6:49 AM, Blogger K said…

    How wonderful to finally get to see a little Seoul from you! Sounds like a blast! Glad to see you are having a good time.

     
  • At 8:16 AM, Blogger kevin hall said…

    Good to see you out and exploring. Abbey Road anyone? Great pics bro. Keep 'em coming. Gives me some ideas for spring around here.

    By the way, I left a message on your cell for your birthday. It occurs to me to wonder if you even have it.

    Keep scavenging dude.

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger Beav said…

    It's all about Seoul.

    We actually had so much fun, we're going back tomorrow to spend more time in places where we felt rushed. Well, at least 2 of us. I'm not sure who all is coming. But it's going to be less quantity, more quality. Though we spent probably an hour and a half at Seoul Tower, we're going back there. And I think we're going to spend some time at the Coex mall - there are so many things around there to see (and apparently an aquarium there, too).

    And, for Kev, I do have my phone...but it does me no good here - no service. I've got a Korean cell and a phone in my room (for now). I'm looking into something like Skype, but LG Daecom has a monopoly with the govt. so those services get blocked. Still working, though.

     
  • At 12:56 AM, Blogger kevin hall said…

    Are you sure that LG Daecom blocks Skype? I thought it was pretty universally accepted. Anyway, let me know what com service you can get and I'll get it too.
    BTW: 027.8670.1041. Call me whenever. I'll get a local cell phone soon probably.

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Janice said…

    Nice to see updated pics of you. I must admit that between you and Kev I'm a little envious of your foreign adventures. I hope the both of you and Kev's wife stay safe. PEACE TO ALL!

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Blogger kevin hall said…

    Your concern is appreciated, Janice. Keep in mind that Beav is an incredible specimen of a human, and I'm just really lucky.
    Nothin' to worry about.

     
  • At 3:43 AM, Blogger Beav said…

    I beg to differ with you, Kev. I'm quite credible as a human. My wife's the only who's spotted me out so far.

    If only I could grab your luck, I could just make my money at a poker table.

    But seriously, Janice. Thank you. I do my best to stay safe. You do the same, you hear? The States are not much safer than Osan, when you get right down to it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home