The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Monday, October 06, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes

I made a couple changes to the sidebar. (Over there --->)

I removed the links to "My other touches on the web" that I never go to anymore, and I added a couple links where you can buy me stuff if you like. All I could think of off the top of my head first thing in the morning here was Amazon and ThinkGeek, but if there are other places you think I could come up with a decent list, let me know. I'll be glad to troll around and find neat stuff.

What's goin' on with me lately? Not too much, really. I've switched from a 4 on, 3 off, 8 hours a day schedule to a 3 on, 3 off, 12 hours a day schedule. Sounds like a total downer, but I like it. It's the same schedule I started my career on. 12s take a minute to get used to, but once you do, it's really not much different than 8s.

My XBox360 is dead. This is a tragedy of epic proportions. However, I only got it this past Christmas, so it's under warranty, and I'm e-mailing back and forth w/ tech support so I can see about getting it fixed or replaced.

Along with Twitter, I've started on Blip.fm. Pretty neat. I listed a few of my favorite musical artists and they gave me a few "favorite DJs." The concept is, each user (or DJ) finds songs on the server (or uploads them) and "blips" them. All people who have that DJ as a favorite hears it (assuming they're listening). You can also select any song to be part of your playlist. It's a pretty cool way to catch songs you haven't heard before but are likely to be something you enjoy.

What started as an odd phenomenon for me here has now turned into some sort of weird quest. I have still not had Korean food in Songtan (the area just outside the gate). I have had some on-base, and several areas outside Songtan, but none there yet. I have, however had Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Indian, German (?!), Sort-of-New-Englandish, and Ice-Cream. I've still got Italian and Vietnamese to go, and likely a few others. But then, I'm just odd.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 11:16 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    Odd? Odd?! Certainly not!

    If you're odd, I'm positively strange. ....

    Wait, what was the question?

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger MthNrd said…

    If you're odd...can I be even?

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger K said…

    Welcome back to 12s! I have switched to them in switching to this new job in FWB, and that has been the best part of the whole deal. It does require adjustment, yes, but I also had to switch back from overnight shifts to daytime. Getting back in sync with the waking world has not been quite as intuitive as I thought it would be. But having the extra days off... very nice.

    Funny that you have not had Korean food yet. You have had it at all, though, right? What has been your favorite overseas taste experience so far? What has been the worst?

    Good luck with the XBox folks.

    And try the What On Earth Catalog (do a search). I get stuff from them for Christmas every year for my more discerning kitschy friends. Monty Python novelties in particular. Some great Ts.

    FYI - Neil Gaiman has been on a tour with his new book and at each stop has been reading a successive chapter of the book and posting the video online. GO to his blog at neilgaiman.com and check it out! I love to hear authors read their own work, but his voice is so perfect for his work!

    That's all for now. TTFN!

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Beav said…

    soo, of course you're strange. It's part of our bond.

    mthnrd, you cannot be even. You're irrational.

    kris, yes I've had Korean food before. I love it. (And I have had it here, just not in town.) I have not had any bad taste experiences yet, and it's hard to say what has been the best...the Indian place I went to the other night was phenomenal. The German place here has the best sauerkraut I've ever had - bar none.

    I added the WOE Catalog to my list of beggin' sites. And I'm a bit jealous that I won't be able to see Neil live, though I will most definitely check his site out.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    No, dude. You know what you're gonna hate with all your passion? That in April, in southern Illinois, will be a LARP-style "True Dungeon" event. Two days of live-action gaming, headed up by experienced DMs.

    I could go, but I'm not brave outside my nest, if you grok me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home