The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Sad, Hopeful Thinking

A sad thought occurred to me the other day: if I had to judge from the people I know, I would have to conclude that Islam is a good religion and Christianity is an evil one occasionally misused for good.


I am well aware that neither is evil - I mean, they're essentially the same religion to begin with. But, of all the Christians I know, very few of them display their religion for good. It manifests in hating others, judging others, and occasionally trying to keep others from living their lives. On the other hand, I know a few Muslims. They are, without exception, among the best people I know. None of them have ever judged (out loud, anyway) someone for not following the tenets of Islam. None have ever declared that the nation should adhere to Islamic rules. None have ever interfered with the lives of the people around them because their faith disagrees with the way those other people live their lives.

I wish I could convince more people of all (and no) faiths to just live and let live. The Golden Rule exists in all religions:

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise."
"Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
"Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself."
"Try your best to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself"
"None of you [truly] believes until he wishes for his brother what he wishes for himself."
 "...thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."
"Respect for all life is the foundation."
"The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own."
"Don't be a dick."

Ok...one of those might have been Wil Wheaton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home