The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Friday, June 06, 2008

%&$(^&$*!!!

I've been at the same base for over 10 years now. As the son of a military member, this is just wrong. As an active duty member of the military, it's wrong. But it seemed that it wasn't going to change, so I decided to give the situation a little nudge. I volunteered for a 1-year remote assignment to South Korea (that means without my wife and sons). The way this works is that by volunteering, I get to choose where I get to go. Obviously, there are limitations; they've got to be able to find a job for me and whatnot, but I get some good consideration.

I get the assignment to Korea, I get a follow-on assignment to Denver, just like I asked. Sweet! Three days ago, I get the news: they can't send me to Denver anymore. They won't find a place for my wife to work nearby. I'm told that there are two places they can send me/us in that timeframe. Langley (where we are now), or Beale (a similar but worse assignment in the middle of nowhere, CA).

I'm livid and depressed at the same time. We've complained to a couple of our higher-ups, but chances are, there's nothing they can do. My dream assignment evaporated into the ether. I was going to have great mission, most of my family very close, and a beautiful new area; now I'll have the same thing I've had for TEN YEARS.

What did I volunteer for?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    damn.

    just... damn.

     
  • At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know I am really disappointed.
    Of course this reinforces my Puerto Rican view of the federal goverment. Its like "You go ahead and go to Korea alone as planned, oh by the way we are not going to honor our part of the bargain because..." I agree with soo mi, DAMN...just damn
    MOM

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger K said…

    I'm so sorry, sweetie... I know how great it would have been for all of you. Any chance they might reconsider later? California is closer... is it a much worse assignment? Saundra feel like leaving the military for an exciting civilian life? (Just kidding.)

    Big hugs.

     
  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    Belated congrats to the Missus, Beav.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home