The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Monday, April 06, 2009

Touch Someone

An extremely dear friend of mine - sister of my soul and brother by water - wrote recently about struggling to find an audience. Writing is what she does, and as with any artist, there is a sadness attached to shouting into the void. Playing upon the stage in an empty auditorium is merely rehearsal. I often joke about my dearth of readers (and many thanks to both of you), and truthfully the fact doesn't particularly bother me. But I am not a writer.

It caused me to reflect on how hard I sometimes try to get someone to go to karaoke with me. To find someone I can amuse with silly one-liners. To scrape up someone I can educate on some facet of knowledge I've gleaned over the years. Whatever your art, there is a joy in sharing that with someone. In having your efforts acknowledged by somebody other than yourself and the howling nothingness.

Please, any of you who read this: share with someone you care about something that they love to do. We can make each other a little less lonely today.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 11:25 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    I feel so sad now. :(

    But this post reflects exactly why Mister and I do what we do. He enjoys karaoke, and so I take him and try to enjoy being the audience for him and so many others whose brass is shinier than mine.

    He has taken dance lessons with me, because he knew it would make me very happy, and did his best to enjoy himself in the process. (It wasn't that hard--he got to dance with every single lady in the class every time, while I had to endure every single sweaty guy).

    It is hard to continue with your craft when you don't believe anyone takes notice. I don't care if people read my blog. But I'm also not a writer.

    On the other hand, I'm an a pro at being 'office help.' I do feel a bit let down if nobody appreciates the effort I put into making their job a little easier. Same church, different pew.

    *sigh*

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger MthNrd said…

    Come home Beav...I'll sing with you, you can amuse me with your silly one-liners (Trina is tired of my puns), and I'll act like I don't know the info you are trying to share (even if I do).

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger K said…

    You pierce to the heart of the issue and accurately point out what makes it universal. I loved being able to include the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead quote, because it is one that resonated with me from the first, and I just love that damned play/movie. Thanks for understanding, and thanks for always being the one in the front row, clapping. Truly, I love you. ...And await with giddy Christmas-Eve anticipation your next visit and subsequent karaoke expedition. We will close it all down!

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger K said…

    *I* know I am a former Thalian, and what that means, as do you, but I had my audience in mind - most of them would bear that no significance. But I wish that you could have been there also. I am a bit surprised that you had no contribution to the marriage debate.

     
  • At 8:45 AM, Anonymous Bk30 said…

    Have I told you lately, How much I love & miss Joe's Pizza? cause I do, and your campy one liners..dude why do think I can't find the right guy..rofl

     
  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Beav said…

    You all are gonna make me blush.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger kevin hall said…

    Joe's Pizza?! Whoa. I feel my mullet growing back.
    Who are you and how long have you been watching?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home