The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Go ahead, ask me anything.

I've been caught in another seductive web of the...web.

I found Yahoo! Answers. There is something undeniably attractive about hundreds, nay thousands, of questions begging for your input. People with conundrums seemingly custom-designed for your knowledge. Not only that, but if you answer well, and the asker likes it, they can tell you that yours was the "Best Answer!" Man! That kind of validation can't be found just anywhere.

Granted, like any place on the web, there are trolls and idiots to suffer through. But there are also very real people with very real dilemmas, stumpers, and philosophical thought-journeys. If you're not careful, you can lose a day or 13 in there.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:59 AM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    Thanks for the warning, Beav.

    Obscure Store and Fark take up so much of my time, succumbing to the black hole of Yahoo will certainly net me a visit from CPS and my own internet news fame.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    Just for anyone that cares, I'm running around an 11-12% best answer rate. One out of every 8 or 9 times I answer, it gets called the "best answer."

    Pretty cool.

     
  • At 2:11 AM, Blogger Devyl Gyrl said…

    I <3 Y! Answers! I have fun browsing around there, offering what little advice I can, reaching out to people who really seem to be struggling with things. I get irritated sometimes and post a smartass answer, but I definitely post legitimate answers for most of the questions.

    I found it on 28 June, and have been going back as often as possible since then. I run about a 30% best answer rate myself.

    xo

     

Post a Comment

<< Home