The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

What, already?

My son went to kindergarten for the first time yesterday. It was a little scary; a little emotional; a little traumatic. Of course, he didn't notice any of that. As always, he was a little ball of confidence: as sure of himself as he is of the sun.

He has a homework folder that stays in his backpack. Thus far, he's had a certificate proclaiming a great 1st day and a Scholastic book order form. I remember the Scholastic form from my days in the low-numbered grades. Nothing brought such craving and lust for "things" like the Scholastic form. I always wanted at least 75% of the stuff they were selling, but had to settle for the few we could manage. Always disappointed, but always satisfied, too. I always got some great story, some new world to escape into.

Now, as a parent, I see the order form. I look at the prices almost before I look at the titles. I remember growing up and vow that he will grow up the same way. Disappointment, but satisfaction, too.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    I'm so with you on this. Back in the day when my mom was trying to feed twice as many kids as I have now, on the same or less paycheck Mister gets now, we'd bring the book orders home and she'd just cry. Eventually, she'd ferret out a book that fit a specific criteria:

    -it was cheap
    -we haven't read it yet
    -it was the right age level

    I treasured every book I've been given. I remember the first book I read by myself (age 4, One Fish Two Fish, Dr Seuss). I remember the plots of so many stories I've read in the 30 years since.

    My birthday, SSN or other rather important information? Not so much.

    I try to limit what I buy for my kids, too, although they usually ask for the junk instead of books. Giving a kid everything he or she wants never ends well.

     
  • At 3:37 AM, Blogger Devyl Gyrl said…

    Aren't the prices ridiculous? I always let Beanie order SOMETHING ... but not nearly as much as she wants ... and, really, not as much as I want for her!

    I can remember, at 3, reading the "Pokey Little Puppy" all by myself. I have passed my girlhood books on to my daughter, and I have purchased oh-so-many more for her. The ONE thing she never tires of is reading. Thank GOODNESS!!

    I'm sure that your lil one will not only LOVE whatever you allow him to pick out, but I'll bet he loves reading it to his brother too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home