The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

-30 News of Sadness

Gary Gygax has died. There it is. Depressing news.

For the uninitiated, Gary created Dungeons and Dragons, without which it is likely we would not have Role Playing Games at all. World of Warcraft wouldn't exist. Magic: the Gathering? Nope. Not to mention that many of us geeks would never have met each other. Many relationships that last for years would never have begun. Many would never have left their mothers' basements.

I still remember walking around Jr. High, playing diceless between classes. It was a great challenge because you had to keep the map in your head, remembering which way that treasure room was and the best escape route from the ogres you'd just stumbled across. I also remember having twice the books at my disposal because my best friend's mom was convinced D&D was satanic, so he kept his books at my house.

A lifetime of my memories can trace their roots to the creations of Gary Gygax.

Roll well on your new character, Gary. You can join the party again.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    I just bought some new dice, rolled a new character, and totally feel better.

    Can we get to the gaming now?

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Blogger Janice said…

    You know I never got into the world, but I completely understand the brotherhood (honestly, not many gals play(ed)). At least Gary left behind a legacy that has been passed for over two decades.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger drac_vampire said…

    We had a memorial day for Gary in DDO. And there is now a memorial in the cemetary area where Gary voiced one of the adventure areas. Strange that this is one of the few blogs of yours that I have commented on, lol. And hope the books were useful way back when :D

    Drac

     

Post a Comment

<< Home