The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Friday, May 15, 2009

TSgt = (M)Sgt


In case you couldn't tell from my status on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, Yahoo, and Skype (not to mention the title of this post), I was recently informed that I've been selected for promotion to Master Sergeant. (That's CPO for my poor, poor Navy friends. Hee hee.)

As can be expected, I was (and am) excited, to say the least. I was at a going-away dinner for my flight commander. After all the food had been eaten, all the gifts had been given, all the words had been spoken, the squadron commander handed her a small slip of paper and asked her to read the two numbers inscribed thereupon. "2713 and 3710." I thought, "lovely numbers...what do they have to do with anything?" Just as those words formulated in my brain, the commander informs the assembled gathering that those numbers were the promotion line numbers for me and one of my coworkers who was also there. I almost lost it right then and there. I swear, for some reason I felt like I was going up there to get the bouquet, sash, and tiara. "You love me! You really love me!" I'm pretty sure that part didn't happen, but I'm too embarassed to ask.

I got many congratulations on Facebook following my subtle (or not-so) announcement. Wayne gets an extra 250 XP for commenting that I had levelled up. When I got into work last night and checked my e-mail, I had a dozen or so congratulatory e-mails waiting for me from people who had scanned the list, saw my name, and felt compelled to find my address in the global and let me know they were proud of me -- some of them I would never have thought would even give it a second glance. I think the outpouring of good thoughts and feelings are more awesome than the upcoming promotion. (But I'm keeping the pay raise.)

Thanks, everyone. I love you all.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger K said…

    Feels good to see how strongly everyone feels, doesn't it? Of course we're happy for you! And as far as the bouquet and tiara, if it happened, I want video. If it didn't... well... you'll be here soon.

    Speaking of which, HOW soon?

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations Mijo. Knew you could do it. When do you sew it on ?

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    With a number like that, my guess is "Early. Very early."

     
  • At 2:56 AM, Blogger Devyl Gyrl said…

    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! So, I totally suck for not going to any of the places where such an announcement would stick around for me to see. I'm sorry.

    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    SO happy for you. And, you are the poor poor person ... for they stick "master" in front of your title to make you feel good ... but we all know you're still just a CPO. :p

    Love you. Seriously, congrats. xoxoxo

    And ... Do i getta pin it on when you get here? *Smiles and rubs hands together.*

     
  • At 1:00 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    I figure I'll sew on in November or December.

    Devyl, you can pin on if you beat me to E-7. But if you're just looking to hit me on the shoulder, you could just ask.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home