The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Hate is such a hateful word

There is one person in the world I hate. I don't like to say hate...let's just say that I loathe and detest her with all of my being. It's not something I'm proud of. But, in the interest of perhaps purging (without all the binging to go with it), I'd like to tell the tale.

I was working a mid, having one of those discussions you only really have on a midshift. I tell a buddy about a girl I knew who tried to convince me that the Bible specifically prohibits interracial relationships (disclosure: I am a white man married to a black woman). She had quoted to me "...shalt not keep your sheep with your oxen, nor your oxen with your sheep." (though I can't find it now, I did look it up and it seems to be a simple warning about keeping your sheep and cattle separate) She claimed that it was a metaphor for the races. So anyway, I tell this little story to Petey, and Kathy (my nemesis) chimes in from the front of the room "That's right!" I was stunned. Literally speechless for a minute, as I swung slowly to face her. I was amazed on 2 different levels, actually. First, that she could be in the military (Navy) and still believe that. Second, that she could be in the military and state that belief out loud. You can get in serious trouble saying things like that.

"What?"
"Yeah, the bible says that."
"Ok, so my basic summary of Jesus' message to mankind goes something like 'let's all get along.' How does that begin to jive with a racist message like that?"
"Well, it was different in Biblical times...with the 12 Tribes...you had to keep the bloodlines pure."

This is where it really started to sound like Hitler to me, and the anger started to bubble past the puzzlement. (And, I have to admit, I made a bit of a jump, logically.)

"Kathy, what is impure about my marriage?"

She sputtered to a halt, and we didn't really say anything after that. I went for a long walk out in the parking lot and was unable to speak to her for roughly a week.

Even apart from this fun tale, Kathy is/was my antithesis in every way. She seems on the side of ignorance, championing its cause. She actively avoided gaining any knowledge, and seemed dead-set on ensuring that same attitude in her young son. She also had a policy of bringing a new toy home to him every single day. I cannot fathom a course of action more likely to make him an absolutely miserable adult. Shortly before Christmas, she informed me that I was getting a divorce because I was going to surprise my wife with a tool set (that she had specifically requested) instead of jewelry (that Kathy insisted was what she really wanted). Any refutations that I knew something about my wife were met with insistence that I just didn't know women.

Insane.

But my day's not all hate and loathing...I followed the links on Kris's blog the other day, and one of them found my weakness: online quizzes. So, I've got a few results I'll share with you in the coming weeks. First: my Five Factor Personality Profile.


Your Five Factor Personality Profile

Extroversion:

You have low extroversion.
You are quiet and reserved in most social situations.
A low key, laid back lifestyle is important to you.
You tend to bond slowly, over time, with one or two people.

Conscientiousness:

You have medium conscientiousness.
You're generally good at balancing work and play.
When you need to buckle down, you can usually get tasks done.
But you've been known to goof off when you know you can get away with it.

Agreeableness:

You have high agreeableness.
You are easy to get along with, and you value harmony highly.
Helpful and generous, you are willing to compromise with almost anyone.
You give people the benefit of the doubt and don't mind giving someone a second chance.

Neuroticism:

You have low neuroticism.
You are very emotionally stable and mentally together.
Only the greatest setbacks upset you, and you bounce back quickly.
Overall, you are typically calm and relaxed - making others feel secure.

Openness to experience:

Your openness to new experiences is high.
In life, you tend to be an early adopter of all new things and ideas.
You'll try almost anything interesting, and you're constantly pushing your own limits.
A great connoisseir of art and beauty, you can find the positive side of almost anything.


Have fun!

--Beav

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How long ago was this dude? We all left that Navy base back in 2001, and I've managed to avoid Kathy ever since. I guess you could be talking about another Kathy, but that sounds like the same one.

    Regardless, remember that there are a lot of ignorant people out there. You can't change them all. Not the best advice, but what is...is.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    Yes, the very same. She crops up as an example from time to time and it still makes my blood boil. That's actually part of the reason for posting it. Perhaps sharing it with the world at large (or the 5 people in it that read here, anyway) can help me get past it.

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    1) It's a shame that people are still so ignorant, but it is criminal that they also feel their false superiority entitles them to attempt to judge others - the one right reserved in the Bible ONLY for God.

    2) At first glance, your quiz results would seem like the product of a mind which is sharp enough to be able to divine the most correct answers to the questions asked. However, knowing you as well as I do, I know that even though you possess such a mind, your results also speak to exactly the kind of person you are. Tell any doubters to just ask me. ;)

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger MthNrd said…

    I worked a few mids with you and fortunately enough, we never had to work with anyone like that.

    Well there was one comment...

    A single mother, just arrived to the squadron and her household goods were delayed. During the night, someone was going around looking for donations or loans of household goods until hers arrived. When somoene asked, "what does she need?" there was the response of "obviously she needs to learn to keep her legs closed."

    I am sure the Beav knows to whom the comment is attributed.

     
  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Beav said…

    Oh yes, the legend of Mad Jack will never die. Though hideously offensive, that comment didn't incense me in the same way. Perhaps because it wasn't a complete blindside. There was never any doubt how he thought.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home