The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Off Madison

You'd have to live under a rock or be Amish to not hear/see commercials, almost on a continual basis. I find them interesting on many levels, particularly in what they say about us, the audience (or perhaps what the writers think of us). I am often irritated by commercials that so obviously expect me (or the audience) to be an idiot. "Look how crappily this works! (When I use it crappily) See how much better our product works! (when I use it much better)" I mean, really.

And then there's a commercial that runs here that has the idiocy in the wrong place. A local eye doctor does "intralase" laser eye surgery. The cool thing about it is that they don't cut a flap in your cornea before carving it with the laser. The particular spot that creeps me out is narrated by nurse that works for the good doctor "...it's not as scary and I think it's perfectly safe." Huh?!?! She states her opinion as fact and what should be fact as her opinion. Is it perfectly safe? Or has her boss just convinced her that it is?

But not all commercials suck. I heard one this morning in which a young woman relates that both her parents love Country Music, so "it was only natural when I got a guitar, I would go into Country Music...or not." The commercial goes on to say that every girl should find her own voice. I can't agree more, though I wouldn't restrict that comment to girls. Everyone should find their own voice, particularly when it comes to creating something. Any creation should really come from the soul (or the heart, if you like) of the creator. Very cool. And the new VW ad campaign with the German urban dude just rocks!

And what do I have from the quiz front today? The Open-mindedness quiz:
You Are 72% Open Minded
You are a very open minded person, but you're also well grounded.Tolerant and flexible, you appreciate most lifestyles and viewpoints.But you also know where you stand firm, and you can draw that line.You're open to considering every possibility - but in the end, you stand true to yourself.


(Robot Roll Call)

--Beav

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home