The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Mama Said, Mama Said!

Well, Tuesday was probably not the worst day of my life, but certainly the worst in recent memory.

Saundra has to go to San Antonio for a week. Her gestational diabetes didn't go away after Tristan was born, so after looking at her records and steadfastly not talking to anyone who might know, a "board" decided that she should separate from the Air Force. None to pleased with that decision, she's going to fight it. But, to do that, she had to fly out to the main AF hospital at Lackland AFB: Home of Basic Training.

So, Tuesday, she flew out. On the way to see her off at the airport, traffic on I-64 came to a sudden stop (as traffic on I-64 does sometimes). I, however, did not come to a stop suddenly enough, so the car in front of me helped, by putting its bumper in my headlight and its tailpipe through my bumper. D'oh! No people are injured (thanks HoTei!). My car has seen better days, but it's still completely drivable. Off to Norfolk Airport!

Did you know that if the flyer is on military orders, you can get a pass to go to the gate with them? I found that out. Unfortunately, I was in my uniform, and had to take off my belt, boots, coat, security badge, and all sorts of hideously inconvenient things to do so. The boots were the tough part since my recovering knee does not much like the twisting wrenching that sometimes occurs when donning/doffing combat boots. So anyway, I sit with her at the gate for a while. We commiserate a bit about the car. I wish her good luck and godspeed, and head on my way to work. I'll have lots of stuff to catch up on.

And I do.

At the end of the day, it's my first time to pick up both the kids with no help from Mommy, and I make it through intact. On the way down I-664, the car decides that it's had it up to here with that right front tire, which storms out in a huff. I sit on the side of the interstate silently listing all the cursewords I know. I call the insurance company to send someone out to give us a tow, and their automatic call back service that tells you who will get there when says it'll be an hour. I review all the cursewords I know, and make up a few.

Luckily, he gets there in 15 minutes instead. I have an infant and a 4 year old with me and they're going to get hungry quickly. We wait at the tire place for an hour or so, get some snacks to handle the oldest while the young one naps, and eventually head home where I proceed to get absolutely no sleep. Guess some days just won't die.

"But I'm feeling much better now."

--Beav

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Soo Mi said…

    Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!

    At least it wasn't raining/snowing/whatev.

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    On the brighter side, there were lots of "at leasts." At least no one was hurt; at least the kids weren't in the car for the accident; at least the car is reparable. There are lots more, and I am "counting my blessings." And I am feeling much better now.

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger MthNrd said…

    The moments like these are the ones that make the great stories later in life.

    That and when so many things happen at once (or in succession), when a single similar event happens in the future, it will seem small in comparison and you can just shrug it off.

    Okay, that's enough of that...gald to hear you and the young'uns are are okay. Keep us posted on the wife's situation. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How atrocious! I don't remember seeing any literature in any forum, medical or otherwise, which would classify diabetes as a disabling disease! Nor ought it to keep her from performing duties as usual. Modern-day DIabetes treatments don't have to mean being tied to a moniotr and a box of insulin syringes! There are oral meds for diabetes that work quite well! CHanges in diet can often almost completely control the disease! WHat a maroon!

    ***Thus ends our public service segment: Diabetes Ain't No Crutch.***

    Sorry for the bad day. Sorry for the bad news(s). Glad to see a new post.

    -Big Hug-

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Bk30 said…

    Ahh Beav, my heart goes out to you. As soon as I stop laughing so hard :). And good for Sandra, for fighting back!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home