The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

A term of what?!?!

In a sworn statement to be made public Tuesday, University of Colorado President Elizabeth Hoffman said a four-letter word used toward women can sometimes be used as a "term of endearment."

The comment comes from Hoffman's latest sworn testimony in connection with a federal lawsuit against the university. The suit was filed by women who say they were sexually assaulted by CU football players and recruits.

A lawyer for one of the women asked Hoffman about the female, former CU kicker Katie Hnida being called the "c-word" by a teammate. That player was later disciplined by coach Gary Barnett for making the remark.

In the deposition, Hoffman was asked whether the "c-word" is "filthy and vile." She said she knows the word is a swear word, but "It is all in the context of what--of how it is used and when it is used."

She was asked, "Can you indicate any polite context in which that word would be used?" Hoffman answered, "Yes, I've actually heard it used as a term of endearment." A CU spokeswoman said President Hoffman is aware of the negative connotations associated with the word. But, the spokesperson said, because Hoffman is a medieval scholar, she is aware of the long history of the word. She said it was not always a negative term.



If any of you have small children reading over your shoulder, you might want them to look away for a moment...

My first (and vocal) reaction to reading this tidbit was: "You've gotta be shitting me."

How can you be the President of a University (medieval scholar or no) and seriously consider that word anything but offensive? I mean, I can understand trying to take some of the heat off the University, but please! I can honestly say that if I tried to use that word as a term of endearment with my wife, I'd have serious trouble breathing for a few months.

And now, for today's church marquee: "God is the light. In Him there is no darkness."

Not too bad as marquees go. Though, I have to admit, when I read it, I envisioned flipping a switch on and off..."God, no God, God, no God..."

--Beav

2 Comments:

  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, as a friend so kindly pointed out, I take offense to names like that ... but someone like her would not necessarily. Just like she doesnt take offense to being called "slut" or "whore" in a term of endearment

    *shrugs*

    I still think its bullshit.

    blah

    ~Angeleyes~

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    pfft..giggle.. and yes i do not take offense.. but everyone has different ideas.. isnt' it great..giggle

     

Post a Comment

<< Home