The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Throaty chuckle?

So, I had a cold 2-3 weeks ago, and a cough persisted after all the rest went away. My throat started hurting, and I was sure that it was getting dried out (not near as much humidity here as FL) so I'm drinking water like a fish breathes it. Yesterday, it got much worse over lunch, and I gritted my teeth in pain any time I swallowed. I downed 1/2 a dozen Sucrets after lunch, and they did very little. So, it occurred to me that perhaps there was something more than localized dehydration going on.

I pick up my son, then my wife, and we head to the "Urgent Care Center" on base. I sign in, wait, get my vitals taken, wait, describe my symptoms again & get my throat swabbed, wait, wait, get called into a room in the back, wait, and get to talk to a doctor. He takes a quick look in my ears, then my throat. "Okay, we'll see how the strep culture comes back. Even if it comes back negative, I'm gonna give you some penicillin because your throat is the color of that bio waste container." Then I wait some more. (Don't you sometimes wonder if they make you wait so much to see if you'll decide that it's not bad enough to waste the time?) The doctor comes back to tell me that the results are in: Strep=Very Yes. So, I'm gonna get penicillin and a steroid to reduce the swelling in my throat. He leaves and I remove my outer shirt in prep for the couple of shots I am about to receive. I wait some more, the nurse arrives with a couple of needles, and I find out that removing my shirt was completely unnecessary. Not going in that way. (D'oh!)

So, there I was, laying face down on a hospital table/bed thing with my pants pulled down. Not Alpha-Betas-showing-their-stuff-to-the-Lambda-Lambda-Lambda-crowd down, but more like Britney-Spears-showing-her-stuff-to-the-entire-world down. So, you'd have been able to see my thong underwear (had I been wearing some), but nothing disgusting (other than the thought of me wearing thong underwear). Just for those of you looking forward to this experience, even if the nurse counts down to the stick, the first time your ass is punctured by a needle, it's a surprise.

Today, I'm at home, being as non-contagious as possible, drinking lots of liquids, and generally expending little energy. So, without delay, here's my next quiz result

You Are Internal - Realist - Powerful

You feel your life is controlled internally.
If you want something, you make it happen.
You don't wait around for things to go your way.
You value your independence and don't like others to have control.

You are a realist when it comes to luck.
You don't attribute everything to luck, but you do know some things are random.
You don't beat yourself up when bad things happen to you...
But you do your best to try to make your own luck.

When it comes to who's in charge, it's you.
Life is a kingdom, and you're the grand ruler.
You don't care much about what others think.
But they better care what you think!


--Beav

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger MthNrd said…

    So...you went to the clinic and got it in the @$$, literally.

    Throaty chuckle on this end.

    Get well soon.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thats why you were called the STREP KID !!!

    Wabbitt

     
  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry you became a plague rat! I don't know why so many nurses are so fond of giving shots in the butt! Although, I must admit, that if it had been in a smaller muscle (thigh, arm) it would have hurt like a bi$@# as well.

    I am visiting my dad now, so goodbye cabin fever! Speaking of which, how is your dad? I assume he came to Kev's festivities?

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger Beav said…

    Yes, he did. Was good to see him again. I actually wrote about it here in the blog. Was a good time. I need to call him. It's been a long time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home