The Beav according to Beav

Still crazy after all these years.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

...Poker in the Rear

I've been playing on Poker Stars lately. Just a few Sit-N-Goes a day. Today, I made the best 2 hands I've ever had.

I'm the short stack with 954. Blinds are 100/200 with 25 ante. I have Js 6d and decide that this is where I have to make my stand. It comes around to me and I go all-in. I get one call, and here comes the flop. 789...all diamonds (Whoa, I've got a shot). The turn: Ks (come on...). And the river: 5d! Straight flush - Holy Crap! My desperation play turns into the best hand I've ever had.

Another Sit-N-Go; I've got 2990, which is 2nd best at my table. I'm on the button and I look at A9o. It's early in the tourney so the blinds are still 10/20 with no ante. I get one limper ahead of me, so I bump it up to 100. Meli calls, and Chuck doubles it to 200. We both call it and wait for the flop. It comes KKA, and I'm feeling cautiously good about it. Meli checks; Chuck says "let's go beaver" and bets 200. This worries me a little; it sounds like he's trying to goad me into calling. After a bit, I decide to push him a little, so I bump it up to 1500. Meli drops quickly and Chuck pauses, then calls. The pause makes me feel better; if he's got a K, he likely would have called quickly or re-raised me. Then the turn: A! I'm ecstatic; even if he's got a K, his full house would be crushered by my full house. He bets his last 570, and now I'm almost convinced he's got the last A, and we're gonna split it (oh well). I quickly call, and it turns out he's got JTc. The river comes and it's another A, and I've got quads! Holy Shit! I laughed in amazement through the next 2 hands.

Probably not the best hands I've ever played, but as hand ranks go, only one other rates with them. Pretty sweet for a rank amateur who won't yet trust himself to play for money.

--Beav ("Go Fish!")

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Way to go, big man! Amazingly, I followed that rather well, which I would not have been able to do a short year ago.

    I sincerely want to thank you for the comment on my site. Your family (the whole thing) has always held a very special place in my heart. Especially this time of year.... She'll be 16 on the 20th, y'know.

    But even without the memory of you & your mom on that special day, you all were such a huge part of my life and I credit you in particular with some of my more eccentric literary & musical tastes!! ;) Thanks for the support. It felt so good. I'm sitting here with a glass of wine, and my night has become a nightmare of a totally different sort, and I am looking to find a friend to talk to. It was nice to see a friend there talking to me.

    Good night, dear friend.

    -Kris

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was pleasantly surprised at your extrapolation upon my last entry. If you have some interest in possibly helping me with a fresh and wise set of ears for a mounting problem in my family, I would love to be able to talk to you. Call anytime. 850-221-6008. If long-distance charges are an issue, I would be more than happy to call you back. I only have a cell phone, so LD is gratis, per se.

    Thanks, really, for always being you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home